WHY WE LOVE COCONUTS
Consider this post to be a proclamation of devotion and respect for this fruit (yes, a fruit, not a nut). We incorporate coconut into a lot of our dishes and so we wanted to spread the word about why this is such a great food. It’s not that coconuts don’t already have such a great reputation, we just wanted to join in the love.
Coconuts are one of the best treats the Earth has ever given to us. This fruit has a very strong list of health benefits, not just from consuming it either. It is used in both traditional and modern medicine and provides food and sustainability to over a third of the world’s population. Now, wouldn’t you call that a superhero fruit?
Here’s a little backstory of the coconut.
Normally grown in warm, tropical climates, the coconut is grown from the high branches of the palm tree. This tree is commonly called the “tree of life” as it provides a treasure so valuable and versatile that it can offer solutions for so many issues, as all parts can be used. For some, the coconut husks and leaves from the palm tree can be used as a base for shelters and the construction of other necessities. The coconut itself can be consumed to provide nourishment, hydration, and vitamins for people. Though, it can also be used on your skin and in your hair for a variety of benefits as well. The ways to use the coconut seem endless!
Now, it’s time to list all the benefits.
- The flesh of the coconut is rich in fibre, vitamins (B, C, K), and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
Coconut milk is lactose-free, which mean it makes a great substitute for dairy milk for those who are lactose-intolerant or are sensitive to lactose
- Coconut water is a great way to rehydrate yourself after a workout. Not only is it refreshing, it is also full of electrolytes. Actually, the level of electrolytes it has is equal to the level in human plasma!
- It has been used to treat a long list of illnesses as it can protect and help cure infections and viruses and help improve your immune system. Some things it can help with are stomach ulcers, lung infections, sore throats, destroying intestinal parasites, protects against cancers, supports thyroid function, preventing obesity and fatigue, and the list goes on!
- Coconut can aid in the development of strong bones and teeth and can also prevent osteoporosis.
- Coconut oil is high in saturated fats, but science has determined that this type of fat is actually good for you & can help reduce heart disease and cholesterol. It even helps you lose weight, as this type of fat is broken down differently in our bodies and creates energy. Increase energy = burning of more fat!
- Consuming coconuts can reduce seizures, as well as improve symptoms caused by Alzheimer’s disease.
APPLYING COCONUT (OIL)
- If coconut oil is applied to the scalp and hair, it can help and prevent dandruff as well as hydrate the hair – similar to the effects of leave-in conditioner. It also makes hair more healthy and shiny
- If applied to the skin, coconut oil can treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. If massaged into the skin, it canalso help remove wrinkles and lighten age spots
- Coconut oil also makes a great sunscreen. It can block up to 20% of UV rays (SPF 4)
- If you’re pregnant, applying this oil can help with the appearance of stretch marks
- If rubbed into your nasal cavity, it can help relieve allergy symptoms
These benefits are just a sampling of what you can do with coconuts!
Want to know the very best way to use coconuts? Coconut milk is commonly used in curry dishes, just like ours! So if you want a delicious meal + a health boost at the same time… you know where to go! Here is a recipe for a curried coconut chicken, in case you’d like to try using it at home [http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curried-coconut-chicken/].
If you’re going to buy and use coconut oil, buy the ORGANIC VIRGIN COCONUT OIL (not the refined stuff). We recommend Ziggy Marley’s line of flavoured coconut oils! http://www.ziggymarleyorganics.com/cocomon/